Teamsters Joint Council No. 83 of Virginia
Health & Welfare and Pension Funds
Retiree Health Benefits Coverage
Retiree health benefits are offered to eligible participants after retirement.
Eligibility for Retirees - Effective March 1, 2017
In general, a participant is eligible for retiree health coverage when the following requirements are met:
- Be retired; AND
- Have at least 35 weeks of contributions in 5 of the last 7 years immediately preceding retirement in Plan 12 of the Teamsters Joint Council No. 83 of Virginia Health and Welfare Fund, AND
- Not be eligible for Medicare, AND
- Be at least 57 years of age and have at least 20.0 years of Vesting Service in the Teamsters Joint Council No. 83 of Virginia Pension Fund, OR
- Be any age and have 25.0 but less than 30.0 years of Vesting Service in the Teamsters Joint Council No. 83 of Virginia Pension Fund, OR
- Be any age and have at least 30.0 years of Vesting Service in the Teamsters Joint Council No. 83 of Virginia Pension Fund.
If meeting either condition 4 or 5, a maximum of 96 months of coverage is available. If meeting condition 6, coverage is available until meeting any of the termination provisions described in Section 2.5 of the Retiree Plan Document.
- A preexisting condition clause may apply for a period up to 6 months if the retiree is not covered under this Health & Welfare Fund during the 90 day period immediately prior to retirement. Credible coverage under another health plan can shorten or eliminate the preexisting period if such coverage terminated within 63 days of the ZR effective date.
- If a retiree is ineligible for ZR coverage solely because he retires at age 65 or later, his eligible dependents may still become covered under ZR.
- Members retiring with less than 30 years of Vesting Service in the TJC83 of Virginia Pension Plan will be limited to 96 months (8 years) of access to Retirement Health Benefits. The member may come on or off Schedule ZR coverage monthly, as desired, provided eligibility under another comprehensive medical program is maintained during the coverage breaks from Schedule ZR.
- A Dependent Child must be unmarried, under the age of 19, or if older than 19, a full-time student and younger than age 23. [Retiree Health Benefits Plan Document, Section 1.13]
Retiree Health Coverage Rates
|Premium Effective||Retired Age 56 or Younger||Retired at Ages 57 to 61||Retired at Ages 62 to 64|
|July 1, 2015||$530||$630||$470||$570||$360||$460|
|July 1, 2016||$580||$680||$520||$620||$390||$490|
Retiree Health Benefits Plan Schedules» Plan ZR Schedule
» Plan ZR Dental Schedule
Retiree Plan Document and Summary Plan Description» Health & Welfare Retiree Plan Document
» Health & Welfare Retiree Summary Plan Description